~ * ~
I love the idea of art journaling and often spend hours looking at others creations online – but when I sit down to create my own layout, sometimes I just don’t know where to start. I do love including quotes into my layouts. I started collecting quotes in high school, even before I started making my own Christmas cards. And I suddenly realised that I could use my collection of quotes as a jumping off point for my art journal layouts.
So this months Mixed Media Ephemera sheet was born ~ Inspiring Quotes you can use as a jumping off point for your own mixed media art journals and to make your art journaling process easier!
Here I have used the inspiring quotes in three ways:
1. Used the words to create my own layout
2. Used now quote as the central theme
3. Used lots of printed quotes
“If Not Now”
1, Print out the Inspiring Quotes ephemera sheet; here I printed it out in colour and in black and white
2. Using an art journal with a background already added, I outlined the quote that inspired me in black Sharpie marker
3. I used my Derwent Inktense blocks to shade in the top of the letters and added water on a paintbrush to activate the colour.
4. Then I used a darker colour to fill in the letters, using the paintbrush to blend the two shades in the middle of each letter
5. I repeated this on the second word, using contrasting colours
6. The layout was completed by added words and a border with a gold gel pen and Staedtler triplus fineliner markers
1. Another pre-painted art journal page and this quote about creating that struck a chord.
2. I made a large “Create” on the computer and printed out to make a stencil.
3. Traced the letter outlines onto a piece of acetate with a Sharpie marker
4. Cut out letters to make the stencil.
5. Trace the letters onto the art journal using the Sharpie marker.
6. Using a blue Derwent Inktense blocks to shade in the top of the letters and added water on a paintbrush to activate the colour.
7. Then added a medium blue
8. Then a darker blue
9. Finished off the layout by adding the quote and stamping with Brilliance Cosmic Copper ink and a copper gel pen
All the Quotes
1. Tear out the quotes from the Inspiring quotes Ephemera sheet
2. Play with layout onto a pre-painted art journal page. Edge with ink and stick into place.
3. Finish off page with various doodles using all of the blues in the Staedtler fineliner markers set
I hope you can find inspiration for your art journaling with our Inspiring Quotes ephemera sheet.